The Y offers a comprehensive and developmentally appropriate swim program that teaches you how to skillfully and safely think and act in, on, and around water. Group swim lessons are separated by age and skill level and offered on a monthly basis. Private swim lessons give one-on-one attention that caters to a student’s individual goals. All lesson packages include six 30-minute sessions.
Swim Lessons Check-in
- Please enter through the front entrance of the building to gain access to the pool deck.
- Please sign-in your child at the Front Desk.
- Arrive with your children dressed to swim. Locker rooms are conveniently located on the same floor as the pool.
- Pre-K & School Age:
- Please wait on the Observation Deck and the Aquatics Director will come for your child at their designated class time.
- Parents – Please observe your child during the class from the Observation Deck.
Preparing for my Swim Lessons
- Please bring your own towel. We do not have access to the towels for participants.
- We encourage children to be comfortable opening their eyes in the pool without goggles. We will use goggles in more advanced classes. You can bring goggles but they may not be utilized.
- Each child must have only one parent or guardian in the water during the Parent & Child class.
- Children who are not potty-trained must wear swim diapers with a plastic pant that is fitted at the legs and waist.
- Swimmers must exit the pool immediately following their lesson.
- No sick or ill people will be allowed in our natatorium.
Swim Lessons Progress
Information regarding the progress of your child can be discussed with the Aquatics Director at any time. Our training design utilizes a continuum for each level to follow so that every swimmer progresses.
Click Here to view Infant/Toddler & Preschool Skill Continuum
Click Here to view School Age & Teen/Adult Skill Continuum
In the event of inclement weather, please do not assume your class is cancelled. We typically will not cancel a class until 20 minutes before the start time. We also do not cancel all classes for an evening unless necessary. If your lesson has been cancelled, you will receive a phone call. Please make sure your phone number & email stays updated in our system. We guarantee six swim lessons. Classes that have met for a minimum of 15 minutes will not be rescheduled. We do not offer make up swim lessons if the participant has a conflict. Any make up provided by the YMCA will be communicated via email.
Policy requires that we close our pools for 30 minutes after each sign of lighting or thunder.
If you have any questions or concerns please email Cat Gunther at [email protected].
Programs and Memberships are non-refundable and non-transferable. Management may issue a partial credit to use at the YMCA of Southern West Virginia. Program staff will determine whether a full or partial credit will be given based on the date and reason of the request. No credits will be issued after the start date of any program.
Parent & Child: Swim Starters
Preschool (Ages 3 - 5): Swim Basics
School Age (Ages 6 - 12): Swim Basics
School Age (Ages 6 - 12): Swim Strokes