This course requires participants to complete online learning prior to in-class skills sessions. Please make sure to provide a valid email address when completing registration.
This course contains American Red Cross Lifeguarding.
The lifeguarding content will provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatics emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
Upon completion of this course participants will receive American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED valid for 2 years.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final day of the course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may use front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete the following events in 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Face may be in or out of the water.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Approximately 7 hours, 25 minutes for online learning (at home on your own time); must be completed before the first in-class session
- You will be emailed a link to the online content upon successful completion of the Prerequisite Test.
- Approximately 21 hours for in-class skills
- Course times may vary to include breaks
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Pass the CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, First Aid, and Lifeguarding Skills final written exams with minimum grades of 80 percent.
Programs and Memberships are non-refundable and non-transferable. Management may issue a partial credit to use at the YMCA of Southern West Virginia. Program staff will determine whether a full or partial credit will be given based on the date and reason of the request. No credits will be issued after the start date of any program.